Sunday, January 23, 2011

Meet Augie!








I'm thinking I should change my blog title to Julie's Doggie Sick Ward. I had Dumpling here with kennel cough. Next, Alley had some sort of upper respiratory infection so she came. Augie came for a 24 hour observation and seems alright so went back with my friend Lisa who owns a doggie daycare. As usual for me I took lots of pictures of him so I thought I would link him up to my blog so I can post them. Augie arrived to the rescue a week ago. He had sneezed a bit but none in the past 24 hours. He just wasn't eating well. Interesting, when I cooked scrambled eggs for him they were gone immediately. He also just loved cheese. He is just a very picky eater and I'm sure under stress with all the changes in his life. We have no information on how he ended up at the shelter. He is 7 lbs but could use a couple more and we are trying. Everyone who has met Augie loves him. At the recent Fluffy Dog Event, we took turns carrying him, he is such a little guy. At my home, he just wants to be near. As long as he is in the same room with you he is happy, he doesn't need to be on your lap or right next to you. He wanted to play with my dog so badly but she ignored him. At nighttime, I crated him and he did whimper for 5 minutes and then was quiet the entire night. When I put him behind a baby gate during the day, he whimpered again and in time quieted. I would say housetraining is in process. He did go right away when taken outside but I watched him closely when inside. He doesn't like the cold at all and wants to come back in right away. We did walk for a bit and he did well on a leash. Augie is very sweet and does try to please you. He loves attention and affection. He would be an awesome companion dog. I googled Wirehair Dachshunds and think there is a possibility he could be a purebred. He sure looks like the pictures and doesn't seem to have the characteristics of any other breeds. Oh, by the way, I will be bringing him a scrambled egg tomorrow.