Sunday, August 1, 2010

Duncan has arrived.


Picked up Duncan (and Giselle) from the transport at 2:00pm today. Both are really nice dogs. (in the picture is Dickens, he also came in on this transport) I put Duncan in the crate in the back of my station wagon and he was quiet the whole ride including dropping Giselle off and a quick trip to Lori's house. He has very been very calm and mellow today. Gave him a bath which he tolerated wonderfully. He let me wash between his toes and clean his ear out without an issue. When we get a new foster, we always take a walk on neutral territory with Cricket. No problems other than he wanted to play with Cricket a bit during the walk. He did weave back and forth with this walk but no pulling. I took him on a short walk later by himself and was amazed. He walked at a heel almost the entire time without any suggestion from me. Oh, by the way, he is not a marker:) I put him on a 30 foot leash and he and Cricket ran and ran chasing each other in the back yard. He loves to play with her and is polite in his play. We dropped the leash and he did not run off at all. I did some gardening and he always positioned himself so he could see me. He loves belly rubs and any affection given to him. He is in the laundry room curled up on a doggie bed right now very tired. I don't think I will crate him tonight, the last two days have been long and he is very comfortable.

My neighbors 2 yr old boy came over and Duncan was fine with him. When we walked, he noticed other people and dogs but did not bark or growl. When we stopped to visit with a neighbor he patiently waited. I don't have cats but am going to stop by Lori's again on Thurs. and she will microchip him and we will introduce him to her cat.

The shelter said in an email he was the size of a Wheaton with the coloring of a Beardie or Schnauzer. He is shorter than a Wheaton and does have a beautiful grey color. His long hair has been shaved due to matts but they kept the long hair on his face. They called it a lion cut. It makes him look like he has a big head with the rest of him shaved, but when wet, you see it is not large. We were surprised how short he was. I measured him at 14 inches to the shoulder. His body is somewhat long. Lori said his body was like a Dandie Dinomont Terrier. I read they are about 11" tall so he is larger. I thought his body shape was like a Coton De Tulear or Havanese but again they are 11-12" so he is taller. His coat is soft and I didn't see any shedding but there isn't much there. He is 28 lbs and not real thin but a couple of pounds might be ok for him.

The records do not say how he ended up at the shelter. He has lots of scabs. I wonder if he has lots of ticks and the areas are just healing. Oh, by the way, he is already neutered.

I think that's it for tonight. I have some pictures but will work on them tomorrow and post. For now, here is the one from the transport.